About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Chocolate Donuts!

Every Sunday when my mom organizes the kid worship at church, she offers donuts to the team to compensate for asking them to get to the church building at the crack of dawn. (Ever wonder why the word "dawn" definitely rhymes with "YAWN"? Yeah, I know. Why didn't you notice that til now?)
Usually she ends up running late because she has to drive down to Safeway and get a box of average looking and tasting donuts. She hates it. Like, really really abhors detests HATES it. It's the worst part of her morning. So I took it upon my baker self to make homemade donuts for everyone. It was a win win win situation. I get to spend all night (and some parts of the early morning) in the kitchen, my mom wouldn't have to drive to Safeway and pick the least-stale box of donuts and thus avoid late arrival at church, and everyone would get to eat homemade donuts!

These should make about 3 dozen (plus donut holes!). I don't have a donut cutter so I just used a biscuit cutter and then a pastry tip turned upside down to cut out the middles.


  • 4 1/2 c flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  1. Sift together the dry ingredients.
  2. Beat eggs with sugar until light.
  3. Add butter, milk, and vanilla.
  4. Add dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough is formed. Do not over mix, it will make your donuts hard and stiff instead of fluffy.
  5. If dough is too soft to roll, chill it for half an hour.
  6. Roll dough out 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface and cut with donut cutters.
  7. Fry in hot oil until golden on both sides, turning once. (I'm guessing the oil was about 350 degrees, I just eyeballed it because my thermometer is broken.)
  8. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon, hold over hot oil for a few minutes to drain, and then finish draining on paper towels.
  9. Top/decorate them however you like! I shook them in a bag with cinnamon and sugar or powdered sugar for the church goers. We also made a chocolate glaze with cocoa powder, sugar, and milk and topped them with chocolate jimmies. You could cover them with nuts or rainbow sprinkles too if you wanted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment