About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Cider House Rules: Apple Cinnamon Rolls

Sometimes when I have wayyyy too much homework to do and my bathroom definitely needs scrubbing and I haven't done laundry in a week. And I should catch up on all the sleep I've lost in the past few nights. Sometimes when these things are hanging about bothering me I do a very childish and inappropriate thing.
I set my chin determinedly, my eyes squint just slightly slightly (a 100th of a centimeter) closed in that steely look that cowboys get in those western movies when they see their nemesis across the street. (you know what I'm talking about, yes? Yes.) I stubbornly ignore all those things that I should be dealing with. And I open up Netflix.

Netflix is a bad thing for young women who fancy themselves worthy of a movie night.
Oy vey.
Now, I am not saying that when you have a million and three things to get done you should drop them all willy nilly and watch obscure movies on the internet. I am not.
But you can come across some great cinematic enjoyment in it. ;)



Like movies about orphanages and apple orchards. (OH MY GOSH. It's perfect.) When I was a kid I wanted to be one of two things...or maybe both things at once, I couldn't decide. Anyway, when people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I answered either with "Owner of an apple farm" or "Head Teacher of an orphanage" So a movie where half the story takes place in a New England Orphanage and the other half follows the lives of apple pickers in Maine? Pop the corn, amigos. I'm watching it no matter what.
Enter Cider House Rules. Watching this flick made me think of apples. And also of all the imaginary children I would be able to bake for if I ran an orphanage. I liked Cider House Rules.
I also like Apple Cinnamon Rolls.


Now, everyone has a good cinnamon roll recipe. Two people in one day, upon learning I was making cinnamon rolls offered to give me theirs. Everybody thinks theirs is the best breakfast bun, and I am not here to change your mind.
Except I kinda am. Going to change your mind. (ha! See what I did there? Yeah.)


Next time you make your cinnamon rolls, put in an apple. Nothing drastic...just apples.
Just AWESOME-ness.

Apple filling for your cinnamon rolls"
1 Apple, peeled and chopped finely
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. sugar

Ready for the life changing directions? Eyah.
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Put the apples in the sauce pan. Sprinkle the sugar on the apples. Cook down the apples in the butter and sugar until they are soft. There will be all sorts of bubbly butter-sugar-juice, so drain the apples, reserving the liquid. Brush your rolled out dough with this liquid and sprinkle generally with your cinnamon sugar mixture you usually put in your cinnamon rolls. Then add the softened apples to the rolls. Roll up tightly and slice. Bake like you normally would and enjoy the AWESOME-ness.


No comments:

Post a Comment