About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Monday, April 8, 2013

Me dealing with the Ugly: Oatmeal Raisin Cupcakes

You guys ready for some ugly food?
I love baking...because I feel that baked things tend to look prettier. I mean. C'mon. Cupcakes? They are probably the prettiest things you can eat. I'm having a hard time thinking of something that is cuter than a cupcake. And so I usually don't get super excited about shrimp scampi or meatloaf. It just isn't nice looking. Tasty, yes. Beautiful? Not so much.
But sometimes I try and work my way off the beaten path of the frilly baked goods and try to make ugly food. It's hard. It is so very hard.


My little artsy soul is repulsed by something so ugly as an Oatmeal Raisin Cupcake. Yes, my dear friends. I have created an UGLY cupcake. It's most likely a sign of impending doom. The end is coming. An ugly cupcake. Oh my oh my.


But then...I tasted it. And it kinda helped a little. Who am I kidding. It helped a lot, because it was darn scrumptious.
It was a little like a oatmeal cookie, but in a cupcake form. Doesn't that sound nice? Just make sure you close your eyes when you eat it so that the ugly doesn't have an effect on your taste buds.
Because oh my goodness, is it uhhhglee!


Oatmeal Raisin Cupcakes
1/2 cup of softened butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of vanilla or plain yogurt
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cup of oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup raisins
Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl when needed. Add the vanilla, applesauce, yogurt, and vinegar. Beating until combined. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients slowly. Fold in the raisins. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until the tops bounce back when touched lightly.

Maple Glaze Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup
3 Tablespoons of water
Mix together all ingredients with a whisk. Add more water if needed. Drizzle on cooled cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment