About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Daring Baker's Challenge-March

The March 2011 Daring Baker’s Challenge was hosted by Ria of Ria’s Collection and Jamie of Life’s a Feast. Ria and Jamie challenged The Daring Bakers to bake a yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake.

It was intense. Seriously, you guys! Two rising periods and filling and rolling and fancy cutting and dusting and everything. I had such a blast! I had designated my whole day off from work to make this recipe so I had been looking forward to it all week. It did take a long time but I expected it, so it was fine.

Now about the pastry itself! The recipe says "cake" but it isn't a cake at all, it's a sweet bread a little like brioche. It is rolled out like a jelly roll and filled with all sorts of tasty things along with a layer of meringue. The meringue melts into the dough and moistens the bread as it bakes. The original recipe that Ria and Jamie gave us Daring Bakers had chocolate, cinnamon, and almonds in one version and cashews, chocolate, and garam masala in another Indian inspired version. But of course, being me, I had to put my own spin on it. :)
My dough was infused with Rose tea. I flavored the meringue with orange extract and the filling was orange zest, dark chocolate, cinnamon, and hazelnuts. The final result was tasty, but I felt that spending SO much time and effort it should have been absolutely spectacular awesome. When in reality it was a pretty average pastry.
Next time I think I'll try a different filling. One with fruit and vanilla (Raspberry-vanilla with lemon zest, maybe?) or even a savory twist with herbs in the dough and salami and olives for the filling. The one thing I didn't like was the "tea" taste from the dough. Maybe if I had put the zest in the dough and used rose water instead of tea it would have had a lighter taste. The "teaness" just didn't mesh.

My mom is fasting for lent and she can't try it today. (AH! I know...awful!) So I know I'll be making one for Easter when her fast is over. It's a great Easter bread. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment